Data protection law changes on 25 th May 2018. Sussex Motor Car Storage Limited (SMCS) believe that this policy complies with the new legislation, however we will continue to review this policy at regular intervals. We reserve the right to make changes to the policy when this is deemed necessary.
We will comply with data protection law. The personal information we keep about you must be:
- Used lawfully, fairly and in a transparent way.
- Collected only for valid purposes that we have clearly explained to you, and not used in any way that is incompatible with those purposes.
- Relevant to the purposes we have told you about and limited only to those purposes.
- Accurate and kept up to date.
- Kept only as long as necessary for the purposes we have told you about.
- Kept securely.
Your privacy is protected by law. We can only use personal information when we have a legitimate reason for doing so. This might be:
- To fulfil a contract we have with you.
- When we have a legal duty.
- When it is in our legitimate interest; or
- When you consent to it.
As SMCS is providing a service to you, we need certain minimum information from you to fulfil our obligations. The information we require as a minimum is:
- Full name
- Contact number
- Email address
We do not share your details with any third parties and we do not send marketing material to our clients.
How we use your personal information:
We will only use your details to manage the contract between SMCS and you, the client. We will not share any of your details with any third parties, unless required to fulfil the contract between SMCS and our clients. If any work is outsourced, we cannot provide any of your details to that third party without your written consent to do so. We do not envisage that we will use your personal information to make automated decisions. Should this change, we will amend this policy accordingly and advise you.
Sending data outside the EEA
We will only send your data outside the EEA to:
- Follow your instructions.
- Comply with a legal duty.
If you choose not to give personal information
We need to collect certain personal information as detailed above to manage the contract between SMCS and our clients. If you choose not to give us, or keep us updated with this personal information, it may delay or prevent us from meeting our obligations to you. It may also mean that we cannot provide the service you require. Failure to provide us with or keep us updated with personal information may result in your agreement being terminated.
We do not undertake direct marketing, nor will we provide your details to any third parties for the purposes of doing so.
How long we keep your personal information
We will keep your information for the duration that your vehicle(s) remain in storage. Once the agreement is terminated we may keep your data for up to 6 years for the following reasons:
- To be able to respond to questions or complaints you may have.
- To evidence that you have been treated fairly in our dealings with you.
- To maintain any records according to any rules that apply to us.
Obtaining a copy of your personal information
You can make a subject access request (SAR) by contacting email@example.com.
If you think we may hold incorrect or incomplete information about you, please let us know.
Changes to the use of your personal information
In certain circumstances you have the right to:
- Request erasure – of your personal information where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it.
- Object to processing – of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest and there is something about your situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground.
- Request the restriction of processing – of your personal information. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of personal information about you.
- Request the transfer of your personal information to another party.
There may be legal reasons for us to retain your personal information when you are no longer a client. Please contact us if you wish to change the use of your personal information.
How to withdraw your consent
If you have been required to provide your consent to us collecting/processing your personal information, that consent may be withdrawn at any time. Please contact us should this apply to you.
Please bear in mind that withdrawing consent may result in us not being able to provide a service to you.
If you have a complaint about how we have used your personal information you can contact us at
You may also make a complaint to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
Links through our website
Our website may contain links to other websites. Once you leave our website we have no control and cannot be held responsible for any privacy or security issues that may arise by using that website.
Where personal data is stored
Personal data stored electronically is held on secure servers and protected by appropriate security measures. Where personal data is held manually staff are subject to obligations to maintain the security of that personal data. All personal information is held in locked cabinets.